Sunday, April 20, 2014

Avengers: behavior style

You may remember my post about Munchkin's Princess chart, well, we forgot to use it for awhile, but we've started back up again and it's helping. I've decided that Lil Man needs his own chart, because even though he's way younger than when we started it for Munchkin, he is NOT your typical 2 yr old! In some ways he is, hence the reason we need this chart. Sometimes getting dressed in the morning can be a hair-pulling, blood-pressure-raising, are-you-sure-it-isn't-socially-acceptable-to-drink-at-this-hour (and I don't even drink) affair with the internal mantra of "don't scream" repeated as many times as possible. Wait, did I say sometimes? Make that every time and even worse when we actually have something going on outside of the house. He's also needing a reminder to speak nicely sometimes. He has a million things he does well and makes me proud so many times every day--like being potty trained and almost ready to be done with diapers at night too, his willingness (sometimes insistence) to help, his fierce love for his sister, and how he so tries to be a "big boy".

He idolizes Munchkin, and I figured that we've seen this work once with her, we'll give it a shot with him too. He LOVES The Avengers, with Captain America and Iron Man being his favorites. So I figured that we'd go with them for the chart.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Director Fury, Hawkeye, and The Hulk
This time, I got to use a thermal laminator instead of the self-laminating sheets. Let me tell you. It's SO much better this way!! I'm still not 100% clear on WHY we have a thermal laminator, but it has something to do with the fact that someone in the troop needed something laminated, there wasn't a way to do it, so Mark went to Target and bought one with our money, so he brought it home.  It's really nice and SO easy to use. We've had it sitting in the garage for a bit and while I don't see us using it all the time, I won't be getting rid of it any time soon.
Our thermal laminator!
I finally got a poster from Target (I've made more trips to Target in the past couple weeks than I have in a few months, I kept forgetting one or two items each time!!) and set to work making the chart. My paint pen blobbed, but I don't think Lil Man will mind! We had a bit of a tough time figuring out the things to write on the "An Avenger is..." and "An Avenger..." sections, the only thing Lil Man wanted to tell me they did was "save the town!". Some of the things aren't necessarily something you'd think of off the top of your head for Avengers/Superheroes, but at the end of the day, this is a chart to help him remember good behavior. Yes, I know he's far from reading, but he can ask me any time what they say. It also helps me remember what we've been over and what to try to reinforce. I love that I have a room to add more things as we think of them too.

The chart in progress: An Avenger is: helpful, friendly, nice, smart, hardworking, determined
An Avenger: follows directions, cleans up, keeps trying, has manners (later added shares and works as a team)

I also made a pocket for me, because I ended up having to make Munchkin a new Snow White because she got lost one day when Munchkin had to give her up. I never had a specific place to put them and just had her bring me the princess wherever I was at the time. I like that now we'll have a home for the princesses and Avengers all the time, whether on the chart or in the "Lost" pocket. The bottom of the pocket says "*Earn back with 1 extra good deed!*".

The completed chart, with guys, and the "Lost Avengers & Princesses" pocket.
I got everything hung up and I'm really happy with the set-up now. I put Munchkin's stickers up last week and really love that now she can't play with the stickers any old time, I always know where they are (no more last minute rush trying to find the sticker before bed), and it makes it so simple and easy, we actually remember to do it!! Oh, and I'd like to complain for just a second...boy stickers are hard to find!! Target had NOTHING and we ended up going to JoAnn and found this sticker activity pad hiding in the scrapbook aisle. It's got 600 stickers, coloring pages, and slick activity pages so you can make a story with your stickers. I'm just glad it has 600 stickers and I won't have to search for more any time soon!!

Everything put up and ready to go! Also, enjoy Lil Man's fashion statement of the inside out and backwards shirt...I'm just glad he's wearing clothes!!

My next step in this project is something to do while we're out. I still use them as a reference when we're out, saying "Do you need to give me a princess when we get home?", but I find myself being more lenient because the immediate physical act of giving me the character is lost. I'm thinking of making another set of each of them, but about half the current size, laminating them (of course), and putting them on a key ring. The next problem is how to tell which ones are still theirs while keeping them on one ring--and keeping it all simple!! Once I figure out the best way to take care of the travel sets, I will most definitely post about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment