Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The end of the diaper bag era, or why I want to make my own birthday present

Well, I'm surprised it's come so soon, but we're pretty much done with our diaper bag days! We try to remember to at least grab it and stick it in the back of the van on the rare occasion that one of the kids has an accident (and that means remembering to keep extra undies and bottoms in there too!), but more often than not it gets left at home and thankfully we've only had one incident that we needed it and didn't have it.

I'm not sure what to do without a diaper bag to lug around since I've been carrying one for almost 5 years! Our current diaper bag was bought when Munchkin was about 7-8 months old and is still in fabulous condition (thanks honey, for convincing me to spend what I thought was WAY too much money, it was a good investment!) so I'm not going to get rid of it since we can use it for trips and whatnot. Since I've had a diaper bag to carry, I haven't carried a purse in what feels like forever. I did both for a little while, but it got too cumbersome and I quit when I was pregnant with Lil Man. I just had my wallet and tossed it in the diaper bag, then when my wallet bit the dust, I moved everything to a wristlet and that's what I'm still carrying around now. Without the bag to just toss it in though, it can get in the way. So now I'm back to needing a purse. Trying to find one I like and am willing to spend the money on though? That's a problem. So now I've come to the conclusion that I just need to make one. Since I literally have a whole slew of Pinterest boards dedicated to sewing, and one with quite a few bag patterns/tutorials, I've decided to make a set for myself.

Here's where the making my own birthday present comes in. I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again, I HATE spending money on myself. I know I shouldn't feel guilty because I don't buy frivolous things and I only buy things for myself when I need them, but still, I feel like I should be spending money on the kids, Mark, or the house. Mark says I'm terribly hard to shop for, because I won't ever say that I really want anything (because again, that means spending money on me). Mark will tell me this isn't birthday present worthy, because it's something that 1) I have to make and 2) is utilitarian. Oh well, it's my birthday and I'll ask for something boring if I want to. So here's what I want to make!





















So a bag, a phone pouch, a chapstick coozie, and an earphone pouch, all out of matching and coordinating fabrics. Oh, and also a new key fob, since the one Mom & I made (not long after Lil Man was born) is starting to fall apart.I am going to have to do this way before my birthday though, as we will start the moving process the following week, but hopefully I can do it all before we move! Now to find a chance to go to JoAnn by myself....hey, there's another part of the present! Of course I'll post the finished product once I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment